We fix our boat pinging on acceleration and show you how to fix it. Then we do some lake tasting and listen for knocking. detonation. When your boat is knocking when you accelerate it is not good for your engine and scares the crap out of me. If your boat engine sounds like its rattling on acceleration or even at cruising RPM, you could have a serious issue and more than likely it is detonation.
In this video, we look at what you get in that package with the Ignition Control Module For Mercruiser, the tools to install, and then we take the boat on the lake and really open her up.
If you did not see how we time this 3.0 Mercruiser engine, go to this link: https://youtu.be/NBGD6oT1qZM?t=84
Parts And Tools Used:
- Ignition Control Module For Mercruiser, Volvo Penta, OMC 4-cyl. V6 & V8 engines: https://amzn.to/2D5IoQU
- Milwaukee 2691-22 18-Volt Compact Drill and Impact Driver Combo Kit: https://amzn.to/30hbyW8
- 268-Piece Husky Mechanics Tool Set w Case: https://amzn.to/3jW78vv
Jump To In Video:
- 1:39 Unbox the Ignition Control Module For Mercruiser
- 2:12 How To Install The Ignition Control Module For Mercruiser and Tools Used
- 7:02 How To put on your Registration Numbers on your Boat
- 7:27 Lake Test our Electronic Advance Module For Mercruiser
- 8:11 Pasty White Guy Jumps Off Boat after a bet by Wife
- 8:30 Get Boat on Plane to outrun Storm out on the lake
- 9:45 Our final thoughts about the install of the Ignition Control Module For Mercruiser
What is detonation in an engine?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_… “Knocking (also knock, detonation, spark knock, pinging or pinking) in spark ignition internal combustion engines occurs when combustion of some of the air/fuel mixture in the cylinder does not result from propagation of the flame front ignited by the spark plug, but one or more pockets of air/fuel mixture explode outside the envelope of the normal combustion front. The fuel-air charge is meant to be ignited by the spark plug only, and at a precise point in the piston’s stroke. Knock occurs when the peak of the combustion process no longer occurs at the optimum moment for the four-stroke cycle. The shock wave creates the characteristic metallic “pinging” sound, and cylinder pressure increases dramatically. Effects of engine knocking range from inconsequential to completely destructive.”
If you like this and it has helped or you have an idea to improve this post, feel free to leave a comment below. You can also send us direct feedback from Contact Us below if you so desire. Our mission is to help others through self-discovery and improvement, your journey begins with that first step.
See our shop for branded gear!
Check out Dining in with Danielle for great recipes!
See About Us author information!
Leave feedback, all information comes from our experiences, it can be flawed.
All videos are edited with Sony VEGAS Pro
Our video studio does have a green screen with umbrella lighting
All recording equipment is Sony and our main camera is the HDR-CX675 offering servo steadied filming and 5.1 sound.