How to replace the crankshaft position sensor for a Jeep Wrangler YJ and XJ. Our Jeep has a body lift on it making this job a little easier. It is still a tight squeeze to reach the crankshaft sensor that is over halfway up on the driverside transmission bell housing.
The crankshaft position sensor on most modern Gas and Deisil internal combustion engines. It sends the position and rotational speed of the crankshaft to the ECU “Engine Control Unit” that interprets that making adjustments for optimal performance. Most vehicles will not run if this fails!
- Issues starting the vehicle – If you Jeep Wrangler just won’t start a likely cause could be wiring to your crank position sensor or the sensor has failed.
- Intermittent stalling – This can be caused by short in the wiring not sending a signal back to the ECU or in rare cases, the crank position sensor is failing. This should still generate a check engine light.
- Check Engine Light comes on – If you think you are having this issue on your YJ or XJ Jeep wrangler, it would show a code 11*: No crank reference signal detected during cranking. Timing belt skipped one or more teeth; or intermittent loss of either camshaft position sensor or crankshaft position sensor.
How to get your Jeep OBD codes without a reader: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1y-81EPXe4&t=163s
Jump To In Video:
- 00:00 Intro to How To Replace A Crankshaft Position Sensor
- 00:58 Crankshaft Position Sensor Location For Jeep YJ And XJ
- 01:39 Remove Crankshaft Position Sensor Location For Jeep YJ And XJ
- 05:14 Install Crankshaft Position Sensor Location For Jeep YJ And Xj
- 07:26 Test Drive Jeep After Crankshaft Position Sensor Installed
- 09:11 Final Thoughts, The Jeep Sputtering Issue came back, Have To Dig Deeper
If you like this and it has helped or you have an idea to improve this post, feel free to leave a comment below. You can also send us direct feedback from Contact Us below if you so desire. Our mission is to help others through self-discovery and improvement, your journey begins with that first step.
See our shop for branded gear!
Check out Dining in with Danielle for great recipes!
See About Us author information!
Leave feedback, all information comes from our experiences, it can be flawed.
All videos are edited with Sony VEGAS Pro
Our video studio does have a green screen with umbrella lighting
All recording equipment is Sony and our main camera is the HDR-CX675 offering servo steadied filming and 5.1 sound.