We go over how to replace the IAC valve and the symptoms we saw that prompted us to change it. I know in the last sputtering episode we said it was the sparkplug, well it was, this issue came on over a month later. If you have a problem with your IAC valve it will cause huge driveability issues to the point it could be hazardous.
Bad Idle Air Control Valve Symptoms
- Check Engine Light Comes On – This would a clear sign of an issue, too bad if you have a Jeep YJ there is no code for this issue.
- Randomly Fluctuating Engine Idle Speed – For us, the jeep would rev to around 2,000 RPM and if you aren’t expecting this, it could cause you to maybe tap the car in front of you.
- Rougher Engine Idling – Since this does control your idle if rpm drops too low it would get rough. Funny that back in the day we would install cams that really made our idle seem rough.
- Frequent Engine Stalls – While this probably won’t affect you much on the highway because the motion of the car will keep the engine running if you have to stop, stalling sucks.
Fixing a Bad Idle Air Control Valve
- You can try to clean your ICA valve. Carburetor cleaner seems like a perfect choice to break up the carbon build-up
- Replace the IAC valve, for us, this was the solution. The build-up was so bad, it would have taken a lot of time to get the carbon off if it got it off at all.
Jump To Topics In Video
- 00:00 How To Replace IAC Valve Symptoms
- 01:40 How To Remove The IAC Valve
- 02:22 What Comes With The IAC Valve
- 02:49 How To Install A IAC Valve
- 04:12 Running Our Jeep After Replacing The IAC Valve
- 04:28 Thought Of The IAC Valve Install
- 05:59 Bloopers And OutTakes
If you like this and it has helped or you have an idea to improve this post, feel free to leave a comment below. You can also send us direct feedback from Contact Us below if you so desire. Our mission is to help others through self-discovery and improvement, your journey begins with that first step.
See our shop for branded gear!
Check out Dining in with Danielle for great recipes!
See About Us author information!
Leave feedback, all information comes from our experiences, it can be flawed.
All videos are edited with Sony VEGAS Pro
Our video studio does have a green screen with umbrella lighting
All recording equipment is Sony and our main camera is the HDR-CX675 offering servo steadied filming and 5.1 sound.