Installing 4.88 gears in the Dana 35 for our Jeep Wrangler with a 2.5L, how we did it and what to expect during the install. See the tools and parts used for this install below. Now everyone says you should just go with a bigger engine, there is no replacement for displacement, we don’t think this. When you are on the trail turning moderate size tires, going slow helps, give you that extra time to think about the stupid things you may get your jeep stuck in.
The whole reason for this ring and pinion change was to improve the road performance of this YJ Jeep Wrangler, the offroad crawling is a plus. This Jeep has 32-inch tires and with that said 4.56 would have probably got it down to like the factory on the speedometer. With the new gears, the speedometer is 5 miles slow at 55 MPH, but the power is awesome. We can drive uphill at speed in 5th gear now with no issues, and if the hill is gentle, even gain speed. In 4 low the crawl speed is slow, we’re talking you can get out and walk much faster than the jeep.
We hope this helps you with your dana 35 install, and most gear changes in the GM 10, GM 12, Dana 35, or in most axles are the same. It is the shim points that differ and crush shim or fixed shim in different differentials. This is not an easy project, and not having the right tools can make it very hard to impossible, plus you can destroy your new ring and pinion.
- Rough Country Dana 35 4.88 Gears Set compatible w/ 1987-2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ YJ Cherokee XJ Ring and Pinion – https://amzn.to/2sWs5B2
- Rough Country Dana 35 Gear Master Install Kit compatible w/ 1987-2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ YJ 84-01 Cherokee XJ – https://amzn.to/2sbPBJF
- Valvoline SAE 75W-90 Full Synthetic Gear Oil – https://amzn.to/39X411t
- Dial Indicator Magnetic Base – https://amzn.to/37VKbSp
- Impact Adapter and Reducer Set (4-Piece) – https://amzn.to/30grW7G
- 1/4-Inch Drive Beam Style Torque Wrench – https://amzn.to/37OeEBI
- Electronic Micrometer Caliper with Large LCD Screen – https://amzn.to/2FDgSYH
- 1/2-Inch Drive Click Torque Wrench – https://amzn.to/2QIZpEx
- Milwaukee High Torque 1/2-Inch Impact – https://amzn.to/37UVcmV
- Tacklife 17pcs 1/2-inch Drive Deep Impact Sockets – https://amzn.to/35K8EbM
- Deep Impact Socket Set, Jumbo Assortment:- https://amzn.to/2NbFSdx
- 3/8″ and 1/2″ Drive Master Impact Socket Set – https://amzn.to/37SyBHv
- Gasket Scrapers – https://amzn.to/2TdiXCw
- 16-Piece Punch and Chisel Set – https://amzn.to/35FmpbU
- 1/2 in. Drive 30 in. Extended Leverage Breaker Bar – https://amzn.to/2sWrpvu
- Jetech 36 inch Heavy Duty Pipe Wrench – https://amzn.to/36L7I8q
- 1:10 Tools we had to have to do Ring and Pinion Jeep Gear Change
- 3:48 Tearing Down the Dana 35 differential for our Jeep Wrangler YJ
- 8:24 Pre and Install of Ring and Pinion for Jeep Wrangler YJ Dana 35
- 17:39 Final Thoughts of Ring and Pinion Install for Jeep Wrangler YJ Dana 35
If you like this and it has helped or you have an idea to improve this post, feel free to leave a comment below. You can also send us direct feedback from Contact Us below if you so desire. Our mission is to help others through self-discovery and improvement, your journey begins with that first step.
See our shop for branded gear!
Check out Dining in with Danielle for great recipes!
See About Us author information!
Leave feedback, all information comes from our experiences, it can be flawed.
All videos are edited with Sony VEGAS Pro
Our video studio does have a green screen with umbrella lighting
All recording equipment is Sony and our main camera is the HDR-CX675 offering servo steadied filming and 5.1 sound.