Comfort Food at it’s Best! Dumplings in Bone Broth turkey stock!
Dumplings are a comfort food favorite, especially in the Fall and Winter seasons around here! Mainly because we eat a lot of turkey. If you have tried our Bone Broth Turkey Stock Recipe, than these dumplings will add a whole other meal to the table. We discovered one day that our lazy method of drop dumplings was the winner and now it is the only Dumplings we make! Our recipe is healthier but you wouldn’t know with all the delicious flavor from the Bone Stock and moist dumplings soaking up all the seasonings. Yummy!
This recipe can easily be cut in half! If you have big eaters than this portion is perfect!
Best Dumplings Ingredients:
1 Cup Wheat Flour (if you don’t have Wheat Flour, use all White Flour, they are still delicious)
1 Cup White Flour
1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
1 1/2 Teaspoons Salt
1 Tablespoon Fresh Garlic, Optional (you may substitute with 1 Teaspoon of garlic powder)
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil (we use Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
1 Cup Water
8 Cups Bone Broth Turkey Stock (the flavor in the Dumplings come from being cooked in our homemade Bone broth, if you don’t have a pot of our bone broth stock, you can substitute for 8 cups of broth or bullion, still yummy but make sure you try our Bone broth Stock!)
Best Dumplings Instructions:
1. First you need to put the broth in a big pot and get it to a boil on the stove top, than turn the stove top to about medium and let it slighly boil for 30 minutes. This is where some of the hardy stick to your ribs comes from, thickening up your stock! We use 2 cups of water and add flour (about 1/2 to 3/4 of flour) to make a gravy like stock. You need to be able to pour it but it still has a thicker consistency, like in this photo. Keep stirring until the broth becomes thicker! Turn the stove top to simmer, make sure you stir occasionally.
2. Now it’s time to get the Dumpling batter together! Add all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well! It will be a sticky batter! If it is dry, add more water, these are drop dumplings! (messy kitchen means good food is cooking, lol)
3. The next process is quick so all the dumplings can cook evenly. Don’t try to make perfect round spoonfuls, just scoop and drop in your semi-boiling thickened stock (if your stock seems watery, don’t worry, the dumplings will help thicken it.) I use my finger to scrape the spoonful off than it drops in the middle of the pot of stock, I repeat this quickly until about half the batter is gone!
4. Gently stir the dumplings and push them down in the stock, they will float to the top and prevent you from adding more Dumplings! (We love dumplings, so our pot will be full!) I usually try to make a hole in the middle to drop more spoonfuls of dumpling batter.
5. Now add the rest of the spoonfuls as quickly as possible. Some of the dumplings are already cooking, when all the batter is added, it will look similar to the photo below! They are covered with the thickened bone broth stock and now this needs to simmer with the lid on for 15-20 minutes, may be longer. Stir gently at least once during this process!
6. When the Dumplings are done and ready to eat, they will look like the picture below. The gravy stock has a darker color and so flavorful! If we have Turkey meat leftover from our Bone Broth Turkey Stock, we add that in but it’s optional. Also they will start to fall to the bottom of the pan, so be careful while stirring the dumplings, you don’t want to break them apart! Add Black Pepper to taste.
Grab you a bowl of these delicious Dumplings and enjoy! If you want the flavor of this Bone broth use our Juicy Turkey recipe and than make our Bone Broth Turkey Stock or try these dumplings in your own thickened broth! We love feedback and want to hear from you!
Dining in with Danielle for more recipes!
Photos and videos By My Love Chris Redding
Steak Fajita Pasta
Roasted Tex Mex Carrots
Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Split Pea Soup
Roasted Soy Sauce Cabbage Steaks
Olive Dill Pickle Cheese Ball
Cheesy Collard Green Crustless Quiche
Oven Fried Taco Potatoes
Creamy Sausage Kale Tortellini Pasta
Roasted Soy Sauce Spicy Broccoli
Leftover Turkey Pasta Casserole
Pimento Olive Cheese Ball
Taco Cheese Ball
Cheesy Jalapeno Cheese Ball
Simple Chunky Fresh Salsa
Olive Dill Pickle Cheese Ball