Why we changed our manual transmission fluid
How to change the manual transmission oil, flush the old oil, and get fresh gear oil in. The need for gear oil changes is even more important if you drive your car, truck, SUV, Jeep offroad. Even when your gearbox seals are brand new, mud can sneak in, when hot and cold meet, it suckage “Contracts sucking in Cold Mud”. Afterward, your oil might resemble Chocolate Milk, not good for the handshaker “gearbox”.
Tools And Parts Used:
- Manual Transmission Fluid “Check Your Specs”: https://amzn.to/3wiycuR
- Gear Lube Pump – Fits One Quart or One Liter Bottles: https://amzn.to/3gy0hHX
- Milwaukee 18-Volt Drill and Impact Driver Kit: https://amzn.to/366BwxM
- Husky Mechanics Tool Set: https://amzn.to/3kuGUzD
The Process Of Transmission Fluid Change
While changing the gear oil in a manual transmission ain’t hard, well getting the oil out is easy. When you are ready to put the gear oil back in, you realize that oil cannot defy gravity and pour upward. A sterndrive pump we use on our boat to change gear oil solved the challenge of adding oil. Using the pump makes this doable, you will pump a lot, but it works better than some of the other videos I have seen.
After A Month, Less Muddy
Once the old was changed guess what the testing was, if you say trailing you are right, the jeep was out for the night with our son’s friends. It seems muddy gear oil isn’t the best lubricant for the jeep, according to our son shifting is a dream. We did change the old oil again, not as muddy as the first time, after driving for a month with the new oil.
Our son has sworn off mudding after changing the manual transmission oil and gears oil on both the front and rear. No, he hasn’t stopped trailing, of course not, he now drives around the mud holes. He knows that after mudding his dad “Chris Does What” will have his grease and check his jeep.
Jump To Topic:
- 00:00 How To Change Manual Transmission Oil “Stick Shift”
- 01:31 Removing Gear Oil In Jeep Transmission
- 02:53 Location Of Drain And Fill Plug On Jeep YJ
- 04:45 Flushing A Manual Transmission
- 06:47 Add Oil To Manual Transmission With Pump
- 09:58 Our Two Cents After Transmission Gear Oil Change
- 13:28 Transmission Bloopers And Outtakes
If you like this and it has helped or you have an idea to improve this post, feel free to leave a comment below. You can also send us direct feedback from Contact Us below if you so desire. Our mission is to help others through self-discovery and improvement, your journey begins with that first step.
See our shop for branded gear!
Check out Dining in with Danielle for great recipes!
See About Us author information!
Leave feedback, all information comes from our experiences, it can be flawed.
All videos are edited with Sony VEGAS Pro
Our video studio does have a green screen with umbrella lighting
All recording equipment is Sony and our main camera is the HDR-CX675 offering servo steadied filming and 5.1 sound.