How to change oil for a Volvo 5 cylinder engine and what to look out for. The Volvo doesn’t use the normal filter you find on most American cars. It has an outer plastic case that houses a replaceable filter, so don’t jab a screwdriver through it to take it off.
How Often Should You Change Your Oil
Your vehicle’s age, type of oil, and how you use it determine how often you should replace your oil. In the past, it was common to change the oil every 3,000 miles, but modern lubricants typically recommend changing the oil every 5,000 to 7,500 miles. Additionally, full-synthetic motor oil could allow your car’s engine to go up to 15,000 miles between servicing!
If your driving conditions fall under the below categories.
- Climates that are extremely hot, cold, or dusty
- Majority of trips are short (5 miles or less)
- High RPM Driving (Motor Sports)
- Constant stop-and-go driving
- Heavy loads or towing
The more rigorous maintenance schedule outlined in your owner’s manual should be used to maintain your car.
Jack Up Your Car Safely
When lifting your car to change the oil, here are steps that will ensure success.
- Shift the vehicle into park “manual transmission leave in gear”
- Engage emergency brake
- Block rear tire
- Use factory lift point or control arm to jack up car
- Before crawling under the vehicle, place a jack stand under it
After jacking up the vehicle we like to push on the car from the side to make sure it is secure. Would hate for a car to fall on us while doing the oil change.
See video for steps to change oil:
- 00:00 How TO Change Oil Volvo 5 Cylinder Engine T5
- 01:29 How TO Remove Oil Drain Plug And Filter
- 02:09 How To Replace The Oil Seal Ring And Filter
- 03:14 Why You Don’t Over Tighten The Oil Drain Plug And Filter Housing
- 04:05 Making Oil Funnel Out Of Vodka Bottle
- 04:20 How To Add Oil To Engine After Oil Change
- 06:44 Thing To Be Careful Of When Doing An Oil Change
Tools We Love:
- Milwaukee 18-Volt Drill and Impact Driver Kit: https://amzn.to/366BwxM
- Husky Mechanics Tool Set: https://amzn.to/3kuGUzD
- Angle Grinder https://amzn.to/36FaC09
- Forney Easy Weld Welder https://amzn.to/3romDR1
- Welding Helmet https://amzn.to/3wOq58z
If you like this and it has helped or you have an idea to improve this post, feel free to leave a comment below. You can also send us direct feedback from Contact Us below if you so desire. Our mission is to help others through self-discovery and improvement, your journey begins with that first step.
See our shop for branded gear!
Check out Dining in with Danielle for great recipes!
See About Us author information!
Leave feedback, all information comes from our experiences, it can be flawed.
All videos are edited with Sony VEGAS Pro
All recording equipment is Sony and our main camera is the HDR-CX675 offering servo steadied filming and 5.1 sound.