Could it be the Throttle Position Sensor?
We go over where the throttle position is, how to replace it, and what error codes lead us to replace the TPS. Our error codes for the Jeep were 14 and 24, 14 is the map volage is incorrect, 24 is a voltage issue for the Throttle Position Sensor.
Blog with video on how to get OBD code, and were Danielle almost drove through the house: https://www.chrisdoeswhat.com/how-to-replaced-jeep-o2-sensor/
Some common symptoms of a failing or bad throttle position sensor:
- The vehicle doesn’t accelerate, no power when accelerating, or pushes the gas for you, which is really not good. Everyone hates no power when driving, but when your car decides to apply the gas when you don’t want it, that is bad.
- The engine doesn’t idle smoothly, running rough, low RPM, or Stalling This stalling misfiring, and eventually not running at all could be stranded, so this is something you don’t want to happen to you.
- The vehicle accelerates, but it feels like there is a governer restricting your performance. Like when you went to the go-kart track and you get the go-kart that only goes in the slow lane.
- Check Engine Light comes on, with any of the above symptoms. For us with our Jeep Wrangler, this was a code 24, low or high voltage at the sensor. You can go to the video link above on how to get the OBD code for a Jeep YJ or XJ with no OBD reader.
Tools and parts:
- ECCPP Throttle Position Sensor TPS: https://amzn.to/2GdNITm
- Milwaukee 18-Volt Drill and Impact Driver Kit: https://amzn.to/2HfipZ5
- 268-Piece Husky Mechanics Tool Set: https://amzn.to/3kuGUzD
Jump To In Video:
- 01:14 Removing the Throttle Position Sensor on a Jeep Wrangler YJ, XJ
- 01:44 The Old vs New Throttle Position Sensor on a Jeep Wrangler YJ, XJ
- 02:08 Installing the Throttle Position Sensor on a Jeep Wrangler YJ, XJ
- 03:52 Why we are Replacing the Throttle Position Sensor on a Jeep Wrangler YJ, XJ
- 04:15 How we reset the OBD Error Codes on our Jeep Wrangler
- 05:02 Starting the Jeep Wrangler to see if the TPS was the issue
- 06:07 Chris & Danielle talk about this Jeep issue and other things going on
- 09:51 In video Bloopers working on Jeep Wrangler
If you like this and it has helped or you have an idea to improve this post, feel free to leave a comment below. You can also send us direct feedback from Contact Us below if you so desire. Our mission is to help others through self-discovery and improvement, your journey begins with that first step.
See our shop for branded gear!
Check out Dining in with Danielle for great recipes!
See About Us author information!
Leave feedback, all information comes from our experiences, it can be flawed.
All videos are edited with Sony VEGAS Pro
Our video studio does have a green screen with umbrella lighting
All recording equipment is Sony and our main camera is the HDR-CX675 offering servo steadied filming and 5.1 sound.