Checking fuel pressure, our symptoms match what seems like a fuel issue, so we are going to show how to test fuel pressure on a Jeep Wrangler. The top 3 issues that can lead to a fuel issue are the fuel pump, fuel filter, and injectors. We are testing the fuel pressure on the fuel rail that is just before the injectors, and the pressure issue could be anything before the injectors.
Before doing the test we did run some Lucas fuel treatment to hopefully help, it sure won’t hurt. Injector cleaners are effective at stopping blockages from forming, they are not always strong enough to remove substantial deposits. This didn’t fix our issue but hurt nothing to try.
Blog with video on how to get OBD code, and were Danielle almost drove through the house: https://www.chrisdoeswhat.com/how-to-replaced-jeep-o2-sensor/
Tools and parts:
- WIX Fuel Filter: https://amzn.to/35bU7Yl
- Lucas Cylinder Lubrication & Injector Cleaner: https://amzn.to/37i1dgy
- Fuel Injector Injection Pump Pressure Tester Gauge Kit: https://amzn.to/3kcULuM
- Milwaukee 18-Volt Drill and Impact Driver Kit: https://amzn.to/2HfipZ5
- 268-Piece Husky Mechanics Tool Set: https://amzn.to/3kuGUzD
Bad Fuel Regulator on a fuel-injected car can cause some apparent symptoms and we had most of these issues. The fuel regulator can cause low fuel pressure on acceleration or high fuel pressure at idle.
- Exhaust burns your eyes
- Backfires on deceleration
- Black smoke from the tailpipe, not blue that is oil
- Engine not running smooth or stalling on acceleration
- Raw fuel is dripping out the tailpipe
Low Fuel pressure on fuel-injected cars can have similar symptoms to a Regulator failure that is not raising pressure with demand. We did not think we had a low-pressure issue because of the burning eyes and backfire on deceleration and thought we had too much fuel.
Jump To In Video:
- 00:00 How To Test Fuel Pressure And Fuel Regulator Intro
- 01:21 Jeep Wrangler Fuel Regulator And Test Valve Location
- 01:47 Test Fuel Pressure And Fuel Regulator Jeep Wrangler
- 02:44 Removing The Fuel Pressure Test Kit
- 03:12 Final Thoughts And What Is Coming Next
If you like this and it has helped or you have an idea to improve this post, feel free to leave a comment below. You can also send us direct feedback from Contact Us below if you so desire. Our mission is to help others through self-discovery and improvement, your journey begins with that first step.
See our shop for branded gear!
Check out Dining in with Danielle for great recipes!
See About Us author information!
Leave feedback, all information comes from our experiences, it can be flawed.
All videos are edited with Sony VEGAS Pro
Our video studio does have a green screen with umbrella lighting
All recording equipment is Sony and our main camera is the HDR-CX675 offering servo steadied filming and 5.1 sound.