Installing 4.88 gears in the Dana 30 for our Jeep Wrangler with a 2.5L, how we did it and what to expect during the install. See the tools and parts used for this install below. Now everyone says you should just go with a bigger engine, there is no replacement for displacement, we don’t think this. When you are on the trail turning moderate size tires, going slow helps, give you that extra time to think about the stupid things you may get your jeep stuck in.
- 1:02 Taking the Tires off and Driveshaft for Jeep Dana 30 gear change
- 2:56 Remove Steering, Brakes, and Axles for Jeep Dana 30 Ring and Pinion change
- 7:59 Removing the Ring and Pinion and Preparing for Install for Jeep Dana 30
- 14:29 Making Mockup Bearings and Races, Shimming and Measuring, and Final Install Jeep Dana 30 gear change
- 21:29 Installing Steering, Brakes, and Axles for Jeep Dana 30 Ring and Pinion change
- 31:35 Final Thoughts on Gear Change in Dana 30 for Jeep Wrangler
The whole reason for this ring and pinion with new steering stabilizer change was to improve the road performance and handling of this YJ Jeep Wrangler, the offroad crawling is a plus. This Jeep has 32-inch tires and with that said 4.56 would have probably got it down to like the factory on the speedometer. With the new gears, the speedometer is 5 miles slow at 55 MPH, but the power is awesome. We can drive uphill at speed in 5th gear now with no issues, and if the hill is gentle, even gain speed. In 4 low the crawl speed is slow, we’re talking you can get out and walk much faster than the jeep.
Since during this install we had to take apart the steering system on this jeep it was a great time to replace the steering stabilizer. If you have larger tires on your Jeep, or any vehicle, it is recommended to go with a steering stabilizer more suited for the larger tires.
We hope this helps you with your dana 30 install, and most gear changes in the GM 10, GM 12, Dana 35, or in most axles are the same. It is the shim points that differ and crush shim or fixed shim in different differentials. This is not an easy project, and not having the right tools can make it very hard to impossible, plus you can destroy your new ring and pinion.
- Rough Country Dana 30 HP 4.88 Gears Set compatible w 1987-1995 Jeep Wrangler YJ 84-99 Cherokee XJ Ring/Pinion – https://amzn.to/2QXO2bO
- Rough Country Dana 30 Gear Master Install Kit compatible w/ 1987-1995 Jeep Wrangler YJ 84-01 Cherokee XJ 30 – https://amzn.to/386HPA6
- ough Country Steering Single Stabilizer fits 87-06 Jeep Wrangler TJ YJ Cherokee XJ ZJ | 02-10 Silverado Sierra HD – https://amzn.to/2QXfGWC
- Valvoline SAE 75W-90 Full Synthetic Gear Oil – https://amzn.to/39X411t
- Dial Indicator Magnetic Base – https://amzn.to/37VKbSp
- Impact Adapter and Reducer Set (4-Piece) – https://amzn.to/30grW7G
- 1/4-Inch Drive Beam Style Torque Wrench – https://amzn.to/37OeEBI
- Electronic Micrometer Caliper with Large LCD Screen – https://amzn.to/2FDgSYH
- 1/2-Inch Drive Click Torque Wrench – https://amzn.to/2QIZpEx Milwaukee
- High Torque 1/2-Inch Impact – https://amzn.to/37UVcmV
- Tacklife 17pcs 1/2-inch Drive Deep Impact Sockets – https://amzn.to/35K8EbM
- Deep Impact Socket Set, Jumbo Assortment:- https://amzn.to/2NbFSdx
- 3/8″ and 1/2″ Drive Master Impact Socket Set – https://amzn.to/37SyBHv
- Gasket Scrapers – https://amzn.to/2TdiXCw 16-Piece Punch and Chisel Set – https://amzn.to/35FmpbU
- 1/2 in. Drive 30 in. Extended Leverage Breaker Bar – https://amzn.to/2sWrpvu
- Jetech 36 inch Heavy Duty Pipe Wrench – https://amzn.to/36L7I8q
If you like this and it has helped or you have an idea to improve this post, feel free to leave a comment below. You can also send us direct feedback from Contact Us below if you so desire. Our mission is to help others through self-discovery and improvement, your journey begins with that first step.
See our shop for branded gear!
Check out Dining in with Danielle for great recipes!
See About Us author information!
Leave feedback, all information comes from our experiences, it can be flawed.
All videos are edited with Sony VEGAS Pro
Our video studio does have a green screen with umbrella lighting
All recording equipment is Sony and our main camera is the HDR-CX675 offering servo steadied filming and 5.1 sound.